18th of May 2018, at 10.00 a.m.
The celebration was presided by Cardinal W. Napier, OFM
Tribute was paid to:
- Religious Congregation of the Mariannhill Missionaries -Priests & Brothers (CMM) who in 1925 built the St. Mary’s Hospital on their property and gave the Hospital to the CPS Sisters’ Congregation. Up to now the CMM Congregation has provided Spiritual Care to the Hospital and have assisted in whatever way they could.
- CPS Sisters’ Congregation whose members administered and worked in the Hospital from 1927, partly up to the present.
- Donors/Benefactors for their relevant contributions.
- South African Government, KwaZulu Natal –Department of Health (DOH) for their Financial support in the form of Subsidy etc.
- Hospital Management & Staff
- Negotiations Task Team
It was a sad and at the same time emotional day as the last Catholic hospital in S.A., was handed over to the government under KZN Health Department. During the Eucharist celebration the assembly gave thanks to God for all who had served the hospital with zeal, sacrifice and diligence. All also prayed that the new management will continue to serve the people of the area with dignity and respect while upholding the value of life from conception until natural death.